Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blog Hopping: A Fiesta Night with Smitten Kitchen and Tea & Cookies



Last night I decided to plan a Fiesta themed meal, with homemade salsa, guacamole, tacos, and a corn & bean salad. I had seen a recipe for the corn & bean fiesta salad over on Tea & Cookies and also decided to try out two recipes from Smitten Kitchen for the chicken filling for my tacos and also the fresh salsa, recipes for both here. I also made a guacamole recipe I have made before, one I had seen demonstrated sometime last year on Food Safari. Rather than making my own, I served store bought whole wheat soft tortillas, which I microwaved for a minute on high in a covered dish. I have never liked the idea of frying my taco shells and the crispy baked versions always seem to break apart, so for me, soft tortillas are nearly always the way to go. Microwaving them makes them so soft and flexible .. the trick is to keep them covered while cooking and afterwards, and to only do this in short intervals.



Everything turned out tasting pretty good, although I must admit to preferring my usual method for preparing the chicken filling. The salsa was very similar to what I normally make, just in different proportions. The fiesta salad was quite yummy and made a great lunch the next day as well. I think I will use red bell peppers as well next time, for some added crunch and possibly some garbanzo beans too. As for the canned black olives, I guess I have become a bit of an olive snob and will probably opt for a different type of olive next time. The salad overall was good though, I especially liked the cumin in the dressing.


Here is the recipe for the Guacamole:
(my adaptation of one shown on Food Safari)
1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced (you can leave this out if you must, especially if they are not in season)
2 Tbsp minced red onion
1/2 chili pepper, seeded & minced
2-3 Tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juice of
Maldon sea salt, to taste

Place everything into a small bowl and mash together with a fork. Everything is really to taste, I don't measure this at all. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. That looks a delicious meal Heather! I love Mexican food and you have whetted my desire for Taco's! I think I just may make some tonight. Todd hates anything that's really crunchy so I think I will do soft shells as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete