Thursday, April 16, 2009

Japanese Curry with Panko Breaded Pork Chops (Tonkatsu)










I tried another recipe from Francis for Japanese style vegetable curry and panko breaded pork chops (Tonkatsu). This is absolutely delicious and I am sure something I will make again. The recipe makes a lot of curry sauce, some of which I ate another night with just some rice. It would also be great as a jacket potato filling. Katsu can also be made with skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, which is most likely what I will use next time. I might even try baking the katsu rather than frying it, although it was delicious made the traditional way.

One tip: whichever type of meat you use, pound it a bit flatter before breading, for faster, more even cooking.

I followed the recipe in the video pretty much exactly as shown, although I only used 1 large eggplant rather than 2 smaller ones, which was definitely a good call as there was plenty of eggplant in the finished product. I also used red bell pepper rather than green, for the slightly sweeter taste and pretty color.

The curry blocks are basically like a bouillon cube and come in long rectangular boxes in mild medium or hot (I used medium), easily found at any Asian market and even in some regular grocery stores. When you open the package, it will at first seem like there is a huge curry block inside - simply flip it over and you will see it has cubes marked off like a chocolate bar. You only need only little block for this recipe. I had worried that the recipe might become too salty with both the curry block and the bouillon cube in there, but it was a perfect balance.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, that looks absolutely delicious! I need to order some panko!

    ReplyDelete