Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What I did with my Leftovers: Salmon Fishcakes

I made some Salmon Fishcakes with the leftover salmon from the previous night.







Leftover Salmon Fishcakes

2 pieces cooked salmon (I removed most of the sauce but left a bit on)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Maldon sea salt, a pinch to taste
black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup breadcrumbs, approximately
2 Tbsp pine nuts, approximately
panko, for coating the fishcakes
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, for pan frying
herb salad
lemon wedges

I mashed up the remaining 2 strips of salmon in a bowl (I guess it came out to 1 1/2 -2 cups in volume) and added the mustard and a pinch of the salt and pepper. If I had had any fresh herbs ready and chopped, I would have added some chopped tarragon in well. Since there was enough cream sauce remaining on the salmon to bind it, I didn't need to add any eggs like I normally would. I sprinkled in some dried breadcrumbs and a small handful of pine nuts, then formed up 4 salmon patties, using wet hands to prevent sticking. I then coated each cake lightly in some panko. I fried them a few minutes on each side until they were golden in a pan greased with a touch of olive oil, over about medium heat.

I served the fishcakes on top of some herb salad with a bit of lemon and some mustard dressing as a dip.

1 comment:

  1. Tasty looking fishcakes Heather! I often make fishcakes using cod and have never made them using Salmon. I may give yours a try.

    ReplyDelete