Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hamburgled














As I mentioned in my last post, I was recently the victim of a crime. All of my money vanished in a span of a few hours to some thieves who had managed to obtain my debit card information illegally and not only cleared out my entire balance, but also dipped into my overdraft protection. I am still climbing out of that mess, so there hasn't exactly been much cooking for pleasure going on around here. Not only was I faced with a dire lack of funds, but I am getting ready to move back to the US in a couple of months, so I have been trying to use up my pantry staples and the contents of my fridge and freezer.


Luckily, I had some frozen Bubba Burgers in my freezer, left over from a party a couple of months ago. I had some bits of veggies still lurking in my fridge.. a bit of somewhat dodgey looking cos lettuce, a bit of onion, and a tiny and slightly over ripe tomato sitting on my counter. Oh! and a small chunk of Cashel Blue. The one thing I did not have was any bread or rolls.

Since I love to bake, and normally have an abundance of flours and other baking essentials, I dug deep into my pantry and found that I did indeed have enough wheat flour remaining to produce a small amount of buns. I did not have all day to sit around waiting for bread to rise, however, so I searched around the web for something I could make in a short window of time.

I was unable to find a recipe that had both the speed of preparation I needed and called for the ingredients I had on hand, or more importantly.. did not call for any ingredients I would have to run out to buy with my empty wallet. So I combined a couple of versions and was happy with the results. I think I am still on a quest for perfection, but that can be done when I have a bit more freedom of choice in my ingredient selection.

Honey Wheat Buns
(makes 12 medium sized hamburger buns)

1 1/8 cup lukewarm water
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup honey (mine was thyme honey)
2 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1 cup plain flour (all-purpose white flour)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp butter or margarine, melted (for brushing bun tops)
sesame seeds, for sprinkling buns, optional

In a mixing bowl, combine water, oil, honey, and yeast granules using a whisk, blending well until the yeast granules appear to be fully dissolved. Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes; it should foam up heavily.

Add the salt and egg, mixing well. Then stir in the flours, mixing until well combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, dust your hands with some flour, and knead until the dough is soft and pliable, about 5-10 minutes, adding tiny amounts of extra flour only if needed to prevent sticking. (Try to avoid adding too much extra flour).

Form dough into 12 balls and set onto lightly greased baking sheets, leaving large spaces between each and pressing them ever so slightly so they look more bun shaped and not dinner roll shaped. Cover with greaseproof paper (or a clean tea towel) and allow to rest for 30 minutes. This does not require a long rise and they will not grow too much while resting.

Preheat your oven to 425 F (220 C) while the dough is resting and melt a small amount of butter. Brush the tops of each bun with a small amount of butter, then sprinkle seeds on top, pressing if needed with your fingers to keep them in place. Bake for 10 minutes, or until they are golden, puffed, and sound hollow on the bottom when you tap them. Allow to cool on racks.

2 comments:

  1. Those burger buns look great Heather!! I find that you can't get really good burger buns over here, not like you can in North America. I always liked Kaiser Rolls with my burgers. I miss real hot dog buns too! (Not to mention real hot dogs! oh and relish . . .) I know hotdogs are not good for you, but once in a while you just get a craving . . .Hope the bank hurry's up and sorts out your financial mess. Although on the positive side it is probably helping you to empty out your larder a lot quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you recover your finacial mess soon .....the buns are really quick n look soft.

    ReplyDelete