Friday, May 29, 2009

Sweet and Simple Bakes Event: Lemon Curd Cupcakes



































Although I have had my blog up and running for a year, I really have only started to focus on it with a gusto over the past few months. I am only now getting around to participating my very first blogging event - the Sweet and Simple Bakes Monthly Bake event, which this month is Lemon Curd Cupcakes. I was already in a very lemony mood today anyway and I had a jar of Duchy Originals lemon curd in my fridge just begging to be used up. This recipe seemed just the thing.

I followed the recipe exactly, with one minor exception. I had some sparkly yellow sanding sugar lying around and I thought it would be the perfect compliment to these cupcakes. I might have overdone the sugaring process a just a bit, but they sure looked like beautiful glittering gems when I was finished. The cupcakes were soft and fluffy, with a rich gooey lemon curd filling. Next time I might pump up the lemon flavor even more and add a drop of lemon extract or juice to the batter itself, and possibly some lemon rind too. Overall though, they turned out very nice. Perfect with a cup of tea.

13 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look great Heather. I love lemon anything and I always have Lemon Curd in my larder. Have you ever tried it on those thin Swedish ginger biscuits? Heaven on earth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it that way, no. Mmm ... sounds like those ginger biscuits would make a great lemon bar base or cookie crumb crust for a lemon pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cupcakes!! What is more tasty than lemon and ginger flavours! Very nice blog Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Elly :) Glad you stopped by to take a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sugar on your cakes - makes them look jewel like.

    I kind of messed up on my muffins - I stirred 12 tsps of curd INTO the batter, lol.....then realised my mistake and put the 12 tsps into the centre ofthe cakes as well. And they turned out flipping lovely despite my mistake, lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare - I thought yours looked very tasty despite the error. I am a horrible klutz in the kitchen myself, so I can relate to those moments too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Heather,

    A warm welcome to S&SB and congrats on your first event :0) I adore the yellow sugar sanding on the tops of your gorgeous lemony muffins!

    Many thanks for partaking this month - we hope you will join us once again in our next bake @ S&SB

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rosie. I hope to be able to join in whenever I can. I am moving next month, but I might get in one more bake before I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That yellow sugar sprinkler really dolled up this delicious muffin. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sanding sugar makes the muffins very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Heather and welcome to Sweet and Simple Bakes!

    Your muffins turned out beautiful and I just adore the yellow sugar adorning each muffin!

    Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us again.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Maria :) It was a lot of fun and I would like to. I saw the cake posted for the next bake and I am so in! I love chocolate and orange together! I just might have to submit my entry early, since I will be moving.

    ReplyDelete