Friday, June 26, 2009

Bubbe's Meatballs














Earlier last week, I spent a few hours in the kitchen cooking and baking up food to store in my fridge and freezer, in order to have some home cooked meals to eat while I spend another week in my nearly empty house. This recipe for Sweet & Sour Meatballs caught my eye not only because it was easy and called for very few ingredients (a plus when you are cleaning out your cupboards), but also because unlike many sweet & sour recipes, this version does not contain any ketchup and also does not call for pineapple. Instead, mild chili sauce is mixed with grape jelly to produce the sauce. I know this sounds a bit offbeat, but it really was quite good, if a bit sweet. I think you could likely try other combinations of jelly flavors, such as red pepper jelly. These were really easy and quite tasty, and they do indeed freeze and reheat beautifully.

6 comments:

  1. Those are my favourite meatballs Heather! We love them here. Yours look fab! I am really enjoying seeing how you are cleaning out your cupboards. A very tasty exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out very nice. I am planning to use some in sandwiches too this weekend. Glad you are enjoying my adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use cranberry sauce and marinara mixed for my sauce. You might find that less sweet. I want to try your jelly and ketchup combo. Sometimes, these weird combinations make the best results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that combination sounds really good comfycook - I will have to give that a try too. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and remind me of some my sister makes with the jelly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those meatballs look delicious, such great comfort food in my book!

    ReplyDelete