Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chicken Fried Rice














Yes, another post about rice. I make rice a lot, in case you haven't already noticed. Since I usually like to make extra rice for leftovers, I end up making a lot of different versions of fried rice. I have already blogged before about my pineapple fried rice, which is more of a sweeter version that I make when I want to use up shrimp or pork. When I make chicken fried rice, it is more savory, and I like to include egg.

I really don't measure much when I make this, and you can really use whichever vegetables you prefer or need to use up. I guess the most important recommendation I can make is to not use too much soy sauce. Too much and you end up with brown, overly salty rice. You can always add more at the end if you like.

Chicken Fried Rice
(serves 4)

1 Tbsp cooking oil, approximately
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, diced
salt and white pepper, to taste
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1-2 cups mixed vegetables (shredded carrot, cabbage, snap peas, bok choy, anything really)
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic, approximately
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger, approximately
sesame oil, to taste
2-3 cups leftover cooked rice
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
Ajinomoto, optional, to taste (or Accent)

Beat eggs and have them ready near the stove. Also have a dish of chopped veggies ready.

Heat a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat and add a bit of oil. Add the eggs and swirl around with your chopsticks until the egg is almost fully cooked, this only takes maybe a minute. Remove to a plate and keep nearby.

If needed, add a touch more oil and allow to heat. When the oil is hot, stir fry the chicken, seasoning with a bit of salt and white pepper to taste, until the chicken is almost fully cooked. Add in the garlic and ginger (and a bit of minced fresh chili if you want a spicy version). Stir fry about 1-2 minutes, until you can really smell the aroma of the garlic and ginger.

Add the vegetables and stir fry a few minutes until they start to soften a bit, but still retain their crunch (NOTE: if you are adding greens like spinach or bok choy, wait to add those or they will overcook).

Add the rice to the pan and drizzle in a bit of sesame oil, as well as the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Chop up the egg a bit and add that to the pan as well. Once everything has been tossed around in the pan for a few minutes, taste and adjust seasonings, adding more white pepper and tiny bit of Ajinomoto (if desired). If it is too dry, add a bit more sesame oil, and if you like more soy or oyster sauce, add a bit more.

5 comments:

  1. That rice looks fantastic Heather!! One of my favourite things is chicken fried rice. I eat it as the main meal, not as a side dish. I love to put all sorts of veggies in mine too! Do you eat yours with the chopsticks? If so I am in awe of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I eat with chopsticks pretty much with anything, including rice. I grew up using them, we just always had them around. I have sets of "real" chopsticks at home, just as important to me in my kitchen as flatware. I eat Asian dishes with chopsticks, Western dishes with a fork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a delicious recipe Heather. I looove fried rice...any type!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandie :) It is very easy and adapts well to whatever ingredients you have on hand. (And /sigh .. fixing my typo deleted my first comment).

    ReplyDelete