Thursday, June 25, 2009

Credit Crunch: Corned Beef Hash














Well, my entire house has been packed up and shipped back to the US now. Luckily the microwave and the furniture is all part of of the house, so I still can heat things up. And to my great delight, I was brought a huge box of kitchen supplies to borrow with enough basics to fry up eggs and other really simple things like that. Using the borrowed dishes, I whipped up a quick breakfast of corned beef hash and eggs. I didn't really follow a recipe and I certainly didn't measure. It was tasty, easy, and again - was the result of items I had left in my kitchen.

I only had 2 rather large-ish potatoes and few small onions, a tin of corned beef (an ingredient I just never use, it was given to me and just kind of sat there in my pantry), and almost no herbs and spices to season with. I did have some Tabasco sauce and some salt and pepper, and some fresh eggs.

Corned Beef Hash
(4 servings, roughly)

sunflower oil, as needed
1 knob of butter
2 large potatoes, diced (I didn't bother to peel them)
1-2 tsp fresh garlic, finely minced
salt and pepper, to taste
Tabasco sauce, to taste
1/4 cup of water, approximately
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tin corned beef, diced
4 eggs

Poke the potatoes a few times with a fork and then pop them into the microwave to cook for a few minutes. I didn't cook them all the way, I just wanted them a bit softer to speed up the cooking process and also to reduce the amount of frying oil I would need later.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a bit of oil - maybe 1-2 Tbsp at most, and throw in a small knob of butter. Add the potatoes and saute a few minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Add a grind of salt and pepper, and a splash of Tabasco. Add the garlic and the onions and a small amount of water, to help the potatoes cook. and give it a good stir. Continue cooking until the potatoes and onions are almost fully tender. Add the corned beef and stir well, the meat will break up. When the potatoes are tender enough to break with a plastic spoon, and the meat is heated through, it is ready. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Remove to a serving bowl and set aside.

Wipe the pan clean and then heat it over medium-low, adding a touch more butter. Fry the eggs for a few minutes, then serve eggs along with a scoop of hash. I served it with a slice of my rosemary bread slathered with some olive oil spread.

4 comments:

  1. Corned Beef Hash is a real favourite around here. Todd just loves it. I love hash of any kind, and often make it using whatever we have left from Sunday lunch or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do prefer it using leftover meat rather than the stuff in the tin. Chunky bits of bacon are also nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love corned beef hash! Haven't had it since I was a kid and always begged my dad to make it. Totally stubling this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love corned beef hash and I'm going to your recipe out -thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete