Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mammoth Double Decker Lobster Sandwiches














Lobster is one of those rare treats I like to splurge on every now and then. Since fresh lobster is often quite pricey, I am usually very fussy about how it is prepared. I am a bit of a lobster purist .. I pretty much love it best just steamed with a squirt of lemon. I find it quite satisfying cracking into a whole cooked lobster, laboring to free the sweet, tender meat from the bright red shell, and dipping each gloriously rich chunk into a puddle of golden melted real butter. So delicious! For me, most recipes using lobster end up feeling, in some way, a waste of a great thing. I am usually left disappointed, wishing that instead of Lobster Thermidor or Bisque I had just ordered my simple steamed lobster. Others might enjoy it that way, but I prefer mine plain and simple.

So that being said, for me to love a lobster sandwich, it has to be something pretty spectacular and can't detract from the natural lobster taste. I have enjoyed the New England style lobster rolls, with just a toasted bun mounded with lobster meat, lemon, and maybe the tiniest bit of mayo (which I happily will do without). Usually anything else mingling with my lobster meat just doesn't work for me. That is, until I tried this wonderful combination. I originally shared the recipe here, which I adapted from an article in Gourmet magazine. Since making it the first time, I have made even more changes to make it a bit less fussy. If you can get your hands on some fresh lobster, and want something new that doesn't disappoint, give this a try. It is simply fabulous and really, not hard at all to make.

I was incredibly lucky and got a fully cooked lobster on markdown today in Waitrose. I try my best to pop in late Wednesday afternoons to snatch up the marked down seafood items, still fresh, but discounted to move fast.

Lobster & Mango Sandwiches
(adapted from Gourmet magazine and The Mezzanine Restaurant)

(2 huge sandwiches)

6 slices of crusty delicious bread that never set foot in a plastic bag
4 slices pancetta or bacon, your choice, cooked until crispy and cooled
1 tsp honey
1/2-1 small mango, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup English cucumber, diced
meat from 1 steamed lobster, cooled (about 1 cup)
2 Tbsp good quality mayonnaise
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup lettuce, shredded (I like little gem, but any type is fine)
4 sundried tomatoes in oil, drained, cut into small strips
8 basil leaves, shredded (or you can use rocket or arugula or mizuna or watercress instead)
lemon slices, as garnish, optional

Toast the bread and set aside. If you are a mayonnaise person, spread a tiny bit onto each if you wish; I do not. Brush each bacon piece with a bit of honey and set aside. In a small bowl, combine mango, cucumber, lobster meat, the 2 Tbsp mayo, and salt & pepper to taste. In another small bowl, mix together the lettuce, sundried tomatoes, and basil.

Lay a slice of toast onto each plate, top with half of the lobster mango mixture, then place another slice of toast on top. Top that piece of toast with the lettuce, then place 2 slices of bacon on top of each, followed by the final pieces of toast. Poke a wooden skewer or long toothpick through the left and right sides of each sandwich (otherwise they will fall apart when you try to cut them) then use a serrated knife to carefully slice each in half. Serve with some lemon on the side, if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Heather, this looks like heaven between bread. Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) The best part is, I have another batch ready to go for lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure Todd would love this. He likes to have lobster from time to time. Your picture is beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. Although I have only ever made this with lobster, I really think prawns, crab, or even crabstick would be ok in this sandwich.

    ReplyDelete