Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sweet and Simple Bakes Event: Chocolate Orange Drizzle















The next baking project for Sweet & Simple Bakes is this Chocolate Orange Drizzle loaf. Since I am moving, I needed to bake this a bit earlier since as of Tuesday I will no longer have any kitchen stuff to bake with. Thankfully, this recipe called for a lot of ingredients I had on hand and needed to use up anyway, so it was really a perfect choice for me to make.

The loaf turned out very moist and fluffy - like a very tender American style yellow cake, just slightly crumbly. I know it sounds a bit odd to be both tender and crumbly, but well - it is. (This was not a bad thing). I was very generous with my poking step - stabbing at the loaf with my toothpick until the entire surface was riddled with tiny holes. As a result, the syrup really soaked in well and made it a very moist cake. The flavor is really very good, not too orange-y. Perfect with coffee. I followed the recipe linked above to the letter. The only change I would make next time is to possibly make a true icing, and not just melt chocolate over the top.

15 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous ! I'm planning on making mine for Fathers' Day, as my husband is a real chocolate orange fiend !! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Clare :) I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice change from a lemon drizzle cake Heather, looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, wow your cake looks gorgeous and I adore those sprinkles.

    Thank you SO much for taking part in this month's S&SB and I do hope you will join us again in our next bake.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i had been more generous while stabbing it too so it would've soaked a little more. we loved it though - the balance between the chocolate and orange was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks lovely - it was a great cake to make wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake came out wonderful!

    I love seeing the chocolate oozing down the sides like that, it makes it look so delicious - the type of cake that makes double good to eat because you get to lick your fingers afterwards too *grin*

    I know what you mean about the texture too - wasn't it just perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there!

    I know exactly what you mean about the texture - it is definitely moist and crumbly!

    I went mad with the stabbing holes part as well. I didn't have a skewer (I'm constantly trying to bake with minimal implements!) so I set about it with a knife to make sure there was plenty of holes for the syrup to run in to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments :) I had a lot of fun baking this and I am so glad I got it baked and made before I move.

    A great tip if you don't have a skewer and need to poke holes into a cake is to use a raw strand of pasta. It works great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the cake looks delicious and i can't stop looking at the chocolate topping...it looks shiny and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The drizzles down the side of the cake make it look so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake looks amazing Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake turned out beautiful!

    Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us again.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete