Sunday, August 16, 2009

Credit Crunch Gourmet: Garden Omelette














After yesterday's teaser with the peppers, I thought I would show you what I did with them. Weekends for me are often a time when I take a look through my fridge and pantry to get an idea about what needs replenishing before I do my weekly grocery shopping. I try to use up any odd bits of vegetables, herbs, meats, and dairy that need to get used up.

One easy way for me to use up any leftover bits of raw veggies and cheese is to make garden omelettes, which by their nature are never quite the exact same thing twice. You do need the basics, of course, 2-3 eggs or at least egg whites per omelette, some seasoning, some veggies, and either a bit of cooked meat or cheese (or both). If you like neither meat nor cheese, then you just leave that out. Oh yes, and you need some butter.














As you can see from the photo, I don't use a huge knob of butter for this. I have a good quality nonstick pan and only add a tiny pat, maybe a teaspoonful at the most. It is there to add a bit of flavor, a little will go a long way.














I had some gorgeous baby bella mushrooms in my fridge that had been an impulse buy at the store. As most impulse buys tend to go, they sat all week in my fridge waiting for some spark of inspiration. I dumped the entire package into my pan, gave them a sprinkling of seasoning and a couple of grinds of Italian dried mixed herbs. I let them cook over fairly low heat for a few minutes until they looked like this...














Mushrooms really do shrink so much, don't they? Anyway, once these had cooked down I scooped them out and set them aside in a small dish. Next, I tossed in some diced red onion, along with some red, yellow, and green bell peppers. I gave them a tiny bit of seasoning as well, and let them saute a few minutes until they were soft and slightly golden. Then I added them to my mushrooms.














Normally, if I have enough eggs to spare, my ratio for a nice puffy omelette is 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white per omelette. Sometimes I just use 1 yolk and 3 whites. Today I was running low on eggs, so I was only able to use two eggs per serving, which meant a thinner and more fragile omelette, but still tasty. Regardless of how many eggs I have used, I beat them together in a bowl, one omelette's worth at a time, adding no seasoning at this point. I also add a drop of cold water to the beaten eggs.














After another small pat of butter has melted in the same pan I cooked the veggies in, I then pour in the eggs and swirl the pan around to get a nice round circle of egg. Drop a lid on and give it maybe 30 seconds to a minute, then take a peek. If there is still liquid on top, give the pan another swirl to allow the liquid to move around the surface of the egg. By now the edges should be firm enough to slide a spatula underneath, so you can carefully flip the egg over.

At this point, if I am using cheese, I drop a couple of slices on one side of the egg, and as soon as it starts to melt on the edges (after only a very short time), I top the cheese with my veggies. Using the spatula again, I carefully flip over the empty side of the egg on top of the filling, give everything a few more seconds to heat up and melt together, then slide the entire thing onto a serving plate.














Here is another shot of the finished omelette, garnished with a bit of my bell pepper top garnish I made previously.

5 comments:

  1. Delicious looking omelet Heather! Love your money saving ideas. I need to be more organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, this omelette looks absolutely gorgeous! I have to try your technique because I am omelette challenged and my omelette always end up into a scrambled egg instead lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chowhound. I hope it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete