Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Credit Crunch Dinners: Chili Three Ways














Considering how easy and inexpensive chili is to make, you would have thought I would make it much more often. Not only are beans extremely cheap, they also taste great and pack a huge nutritional punch. And chili has to be one of the ultimate credit crunching meals. It just stretches so far - I made a fairly small batch a few nights ago and had more than enough to enjoy it for several meals afterwards.

The first night, I simply served it as is, garnished with some shredded cheese and chopped raw red onions for a bit of color and crunch. I used a recipe I found here that called for a crockpot. What a great idea! Why had it never occurred to me to make chili in a slow cooker before? I think I am still on the hunt for the perfect chili recipe for my tastes, but the crockpot method was a real winner.














The next night, I transformed some of the leftover chili into Chili Cheese Nachos. Using a recipe I found here as a guide, I added some refried beans with mild green chilies to some of my crockpot chili leftovers and heated it up. I then poured that over some tortilla chips, sprinkled cheese over the top, and baked at 400F for about 5-10 minutes, until the cheese was fully melted. I then garnished the nachos with some jalapeno slices and sour cream.














Meal three was just Chili Dogs, steamed hotdogs with some of the chili-refried beans mixture spooned on top, and garnished with red onions and brown mustard.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I'm trying to catch up with some of my favorite blogs and I can see my timing couldn't have been better. Since I'm a Texas girl, chili and nachos in particular are huge favorites. I hope you are settled back into American life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting setled again, yes, thank you for asking Karen. I am still living in a temp place until I am able to find a solid job and place to live.

    ReplyDelete