Saturday, September 26, 2009

I was in the Mood for Muffins














I recently discovered Betty's Kitchen and her very nice collection of simple, easy recipes. When I saw her video demo of Cracklin' Oat Bran Muffins, I knew right away that I had to give them a try. Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal is very crunchy, as if you bashed up a crunchy honey & cinnamon granola bar. I've always kind of liked it, although I have never actually eaten it as a breakfast cereal, but rather as something to nibble on for energy in a snack mix. Using Cracklin' Oat Bran as an ingredient in a muffin sounded really clever and definitely something I wanted to test out.

In Betty's recipe, two cups of this cereal get soaked for about 20 minutes in milk. The softened mixture then gets stirred into a quick, extremely easy, and very tasty muffin batter of self-rising flour, a little sugar, an egg, and a very small amount of oil (the recipe is in the link above). They puffed up into nice tall, golden domes, making them look very appealing. The outside crisped up just a bit more than I would have personally liked, but the interior was soft and pillowy and oh so tasty. For a healthier muffin, these really worked out well.

They tasted so rich and buttery, but there is not actually any butter added to the recipe, just a little canola oil. If you don't have any Cracklin' Oat Bran, I think you could easily substitute crunchy granola or break up some granola bars. I will certainly be making these again. These even passed the I'm-getting-older-so-now-I'm-suddenly-picky daughter test, although she did suggest adding some chopped apples next time.

2 comments:

  1. I love cracklin oat bran as a cereal, it's one of my favourites and I am betting I would love it as a muffin! Those look seriously tasty Heather! I'll probably add raisins to mine, coz I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were a great treat. I think raisins sound like a good addition too.

    ReplyDelete