Sunday, September 6, 2009

Souper Sundays: Pear Gazpacho














For this week's Souper Sundays event, hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen, I decided to make Pear Gazpacho. I can vividly recall the first time I ever tasted this unique soup. I was sitting outside in the backyard of my friend Vicky's beautiful farmhouse rental in the outskirts of Bonn, Germany. It was unseasonably hot, but not unbearably so, and an absolutely beautiful bright and still sunny summer evening. All of the food served was delicious, all prepared by Vicky and her husband at home. One of the stand-outs was this unusual version of the classic Spanish cold soup, gazpacho, which Vicky served in tiny shot glasses garnished with a dollop of crème fraîche and some tiny slivers of fresh basil. It was so refreshing on that hot day and so pretty and elegant.

This is not at all a traditional version, it is only gazpacho in its resemblance to the original, a mere nod towards Spain. In fact, it is quite possibly Vicky's own creation. When I asked if she would share the recipe with me, I remember her blushing slightly, as if apologizing for its simplicity. It contains only three ingredients, plus seasonings and garnish. This went over very well with the women at the party, not so much with the men. When I made this at home, my daughter liked it, but also added "I don't like so many herbs in my soup."

Pear Gazpacho (based on my friend Vicky's recipe)

1 (15 ounce) can pears in juice, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, seasoned with basil, oregano & garlic
fresh basil, cut into chiffonade strips
crème fraîche or sour cream, to garnish
salt and pepper, to taste

Puree the pears and tomatoes together in a blender. Add some fresh basil and pulse to blend. Season to taste. Chill several hours until cold. Serve in shot glasses or bowls, garnished with a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream, and a few extra strips of fresh basil.

4 comments:

  1. What a unique and delicious-sounding soup, and such a nice memory of trying it for the first time. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make this sound very good and I love the way you describe the setting.
    Rita/Sage

    ReplyDelete