Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Baking the Bake-Off: Project #3 Chocolate Starlight Cake














Well it has been some time now since my last Pillsbury Bake-Off project. I actually was pretty certain that I had made the Double-Delight Starlight Cake years ago, back when I first picked up my old copy of the Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbook. It sounded and looked like something I would really enjoy - a rich, creamy, homemade chocolate layer cake with a luscious sounding chocolate cream cheese mint icing.

The basic idea for the cake is very clever: prepare a batch of icing, using some in the cake batter and the rest to decorate the finished cake. The idea is supposed to make the cake very moist and tender. Unfortunately, both times that I have tried this cake, I was a little disappointed. It is indeed a good cake, and the icing has a great creamy texture and nice minty flavor. However, while I wouldn't go so far as to say this cake is dry, it isn't at all, it is not quite as moist as some more modern chocolate cakes that I have tried.

This cake was very easy to make, and I am certain you could adapt the basic concept to any type of frosting and cake flavor. I think I prefer a richer chocolate flavor in my chocolate cakes; there just wasn't enough choco punch in this to really satisfy me. The icing is very good and worth trying.

1 comment:

  1. It does ound good Heather. I have a big bakeoff cookbook and I am sure I have probably made this in the past. It's a bit of a pain having a husband that hates chocolate cakes and such. That means I have to wait until there are going to be a lot of people around to help me eat things like this!

    ReplyDelete