Monday, October 19, 2009

A Few Meals with Betty














It feels like ages since my last post, even though it has been less than a week. I have actually been cooking, but I have been so busy, that I just haven't had much time to blog about what I have been preparing. Since the recipes over at Betty's Kitchen are so economical and easy, I have been turning to her collection a lot lately for inspiration. She seems to choose recipes that are often similar to things I typically like to prepare at home, but with a simpler and slightly different twist. Her recipes are also often somewhat healthier versions of some old favorites, which I really appreciate.

One night I made her Cajun Style Shrimp, which was the simplest thing to prepare and tasted so rich and delicious. I actually make something similar for parties using Cajun seasoning and butter, but this was a nice change and really was delicious. I served the shrimp with rye toast, some sliced tomatoes, and Betty's Lima Bean Casserole.

The shrimp turned out great and I will definitely make it again. I used precooked peeled shrimp and only let them marinate for 15 minutes. Then I heated the shrimp only until they were warmed through. The lima bean casserole was good, although my daughter wasn't terribly pleased to see one of her least favorite vegetables on her plate. She did end up eating it, partly because I snuck some broccoli in as well, which she really enjoys. I also substituted cream of celery soup for the mushroom soup. It was a nice casserole, but probably not something that I will make regularly.














On another night I tried out Betty's Chicken Nuggets, which I think has just been crowned my new standard nuggets recipe. The chicken is cut into chunks, coated in some butter and then dredged in crushed Ritz crackers. I used Roasted Vegetable flavor Ritz which really gave them a nice flavor. The nuggets came out nice and crispy and were moist and tender on the inside. Really, really good. I served them with her Loaded Baked Potatoes and some honey mustard, which was simply some Dijon mustard mixed with a bit of honey.














I also tried out Crazy Eight Can Soup, which turned out great. This very easy recipe doctors up ordinary minestrone soup with corn, fire roasted tomatoes, and chili beans, mixed with a pound of browned lean ground beef. I am sure you could leave out the meat or use ground turkey instead if you prefer. Next time I will use Progresso's minestrone, which is not condensed, in place of the condensed version called for in the recipe, as I prefer the flavor and I find it to be less salty. This made a huge pot of soup, enough to enjoy for lunch all week long and plenty extra to store in the freezer.












4 comments:

  1. You've got some really tasty looking food there Heather! I especially like the look of those chicken nuggets! I may have to give them a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have been eating well! Interesting soup--that is a crazy combination of ingredients--it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nuggets were really very good, they were a very big surprise. I never expected so much flavor!

    Yes, the soup was an odd combo of ingredients, but it did work out well and for very little money. Again, I was very happily surprised with the results.

    Thank you both for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the soup for dinner today. Tried it with Progresso's Homestyle Minestrone instead of Campbell. Also added in some Hot Italian Sausages and Elbow Macaroni, along with the Ground Beef. Simply delish!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete