Saturday, May 1, 2010

Credit Crunch Lunches: Leftover Grilled Chicken Tenderloin Salad














I have always been a fan of using up my leftovers in new ways, even if it is something as simple as a salad. Right now, when times are still a bit tough financially, this is not only desirable, but essential. The other night I had made some grilled chicken tenderloins after marinating them overnight in a simple mix of Italian salad dressing, a little honey, and some lime juice. As I often do, I made a bit extra.

For lunch the following day, I decided to mix up a quick and easy salad using up some of the leftover chicken and some vegetables I had on hand in my fridge. I tore up some crisp green Romaine lettuce hearts, sliced up a really juicy fresh vine ripened tomato, added a handful of shredded carrots and grated just a tiny sprinkling of mature sharp Cheddar from Vermont over the top. Next, I added chunks of the cold chicken, then tossed it all together with a very small amount of light Ranch dressing. This not only was surprisingly tasty, but it also was quite photogenic so I decided to share it with you today.

5 comments:

  1. It is nice to have leftovers for lunch the next day. I normally cook extra anyway as I pack lunch daily for my hubby and boys. The grilled chicken sounds really good.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for follwing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good Heather. I often make myself a salad for lunch and use up leftover chicken, pork or steak. I haven't tried lamb yet though, although I have a ton of slow roasted lamb shoulder in my fridge now that I need to use up!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you Biren and Marie for your comments.

    Biren - your blog is so lovely!

    Marie - your new home looks so cute and charming, I have been enjoying your updates. I think leftover lamb goes great gently reheated and thrown into a pita half with some cucumbers and yogurt flavored with some seasonings and herbs, sort of like a gyro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea! I've got some leftover grilled chicken breast waiting for me in the fridge. I was going to make sandwiches, but you have a much better idea! With some oven dried baked tomatoes and a sprinkling of za'atar, should be yummy (and healthy)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of adding sundried tomatoes Mirj :) Glad you found your way over here - I will be checking out your blog often too.

    ReplyDelete