Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Eating Healthier: Indian Spiced Eggs and other Breakfast Musings













Normally I am not much of a big-breakfast-eater kind of girl, certainly not on ordinary weekdays. Don't get me wrong ... on a cozy weekend morning I like nothing better than to enjoy a calm morning baking some blueberry muffins or savoring some fresh, homemade waffles. My typical weekday breakfasts usually would be a piece of fruit, coffee (there is always coffee in my world), and a serving of yogurt with a little bit of honey drizzled on top or a sprinkling of crunchy granola. If I can get my hands on a really good chewy, malty, truly NY style bagel, then a freshly baked seed coated or rye slathered with cream cheese hits the spot every time.

Weekday eggs for breakfast have never really been my thing. I do like eggs, I love them in quiches and omelettes or poached and dropped into soup or over a salad. I can't tell you just how many "egg-mayo" (aka egg salad in the US) sandwiches I used to eat in London, where you could easily grab one at just about any sandwich shop or grocery store. I am the first one to grab for a deviled egg on an appetizer tray, unless my daughter beats me to it. But I rarely feel like making one for breakfast on just an ordinary run of the mill morning. Like pancakes and waffles, breakfast eggs seem more like hearty weekend food to me.

It was therefore with some trepidation that I started out my week of lower carb eating facing what seems like an endless amount of breakfasts involving eggs. So far over the past 6 days (starting last Thursday), I have eaten eggs for breakfast nearly every day. It feels a bit discomforting to laugh in the face of my usual mindset of what is the "norm." Here is my diary of "what I ate for breakfast" so far:
  • prosciutto strips wrapped around buffalo mozzarella
  • poached eggs with sauteed baby bella mushrooms
  • baked avocado with salsa, crumbled bacon, and buffalo mozzarella melted on top
  • eggs "over easy" with crispy bacon strips
  • slices of ham wrapped around strips of more mozzarella and avocado
  • Indian Spiced Scrambled Eggs
The Indian Spiced Scrambled Eggs were based on a recipe from Neris & India's Idiot-Proof Diet Cookbook. They were certainly a bit more fussy than I would normally feel like bothering with on a weekday, but since I happened to have all of the ingredients, and because I had fond memories of eating similar dishes in the past, I gave them a try. And honestly, other than a bit of chopping, this was really quite easy to prepare.

The basic idea is quite simple, really: First, chop up a small spicy chili (I used a jalapeño, which I partially de-seeded, not wanting fire quite so early in the morning), a small tomato, a bit of fresh cilantro (aka coriander), and whisk that all up with a couple of eggs (organic & brown in my case). Season with a pinch of salt, pepper, and tiny bit of ground coriander seed and cumin. Next, slice up some onion and sauté in a bit of butter and olive oil, I used only a teaspoon of each and perhaps 1/4 of a smallish onion. Once the onion softens up and begins to turn a golden color, drop in the egg mixture and toss everything around scrambled eggs style until everything is cooked to your liking. A really nice breakfast, definitely filling, and it sure didn't feel like I was dieting.

8 comments:

  1. I'm always trying to make myself eat bigger, healthier breakfasts...and this looks amazing. I've never thought to use Indian spices when making a breakfast scramble, but now that I think of it, I'm sure it is delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!
    http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a very nice breakfast!! a lot of the spices are almost mexican, my grandmother used the almost the same ingredients and added a corn tortilla broken up into it...yummmm
    thanks for sharing!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dennis - that sounds really good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious looking scramble Heather. In fact all of your breakfasts sound delish! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi

    Unfortunately I have some sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, Rosie passed away yesterday. I have written up a tribute to her on my blog and I am asking everyone who knew her if they would please take some time to leave a comment. I will be printing off all the comments to pass onto her husband.

    Thanks
    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Maria ;; This is horrible news ;;;;;;;; I had been regularly checking her blog to see if she was back.. I had no idea things were so serious. I will miss Rosie ;;;;;;;;;;;;

    ReplyDelete