Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grilled Steak Dinner.. this is healthy eating? Really!!














I have to admit, I have never been a big steak fan. I can vividly remember sitting at the dinner table as a child staring with great displeasure at the London Broil sitting in the center of the table. I absolutely dreaded steak night, and begged for only the very end bits that were hopefully so well done, they tasted more like charcoal than beef. Unfortunately, my parents are rather good cooks, so the steak was usually perfectly rare, not a charred bit to be found. The bright pink meat and its red juices scared the heck out of me and there was just no chance I was taking a bite.

My parents weren't the type to stand for rebellious or picky eating; it was eat your dinner or you may not get up from the table, period. Whenever I was faced with the dismal challenge of eating all of my steak, I would defiantly remain at the table for what seemed to me like hours, dangling my feet and playing with my fork, cutting and re-cutting my meat, trying to hide it in my napkin, or tuck some under my vegetables, sneaking some onto my unwitting younger sister's plate, anything I could think of to give my parents the impression that I had eaten whatever mystical amount "enough" was that evening. I begged, I bargained with offers of doing extra chores, I attempted pouty faces and tears, and I am certain threw a few fits (which of course only landed me in worse trouble).

I can recall a particular ride home from Girl Scouts in a friend's car, when somehow a conversation about food drifted to me talking about how much I despise steak for dinner, and complaining about how frequently we seemed to eat it. This baffled the other kids. The friend's shocked mother remarked "I really wish I could afford to have steak dinners often enough to be sick of them!" I felt a bit ashamed at that, it had never occurred to me that steak might be considered expensive or special, or that others might consider it a treat. The very next time, and every time thereafter, I ate my steak when served without complaint. I still didn't enjoy eating it, but I had been humbled by those remarks and wanted my parents to know I appreciated their efforts.

It took me many years to overcome my extreme distaste for steak, but I did come around eventually. It still isn't my favorite meal, but I outgrew the need to eat it burnt to a crisp and learned to enjoy the meat medium, not quite at the still mooing stage, but certainly still flush pink enough to be considered tender.

My daughter adores steak and could probably devour one every night and be quite content. It is her favorite thing to order at a restaurant, perhaps because she is so very rarely served one at home. Since steak is most definitely on the "good foods" list for low-carb diets, and they also happened to be on sale, I obliged my daughter's request and grilled some NY strip loin steaks, massaged lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning blend, along with a side salad and green beans.

18 comments:

  1. while I no longer eat beef, my wife does, and somewhere along the way during her childhood (from her sisters cooking),she will no longer even remotely tolerate pink in any meat. So I try to find the point where it is done enough without killing it! Porterhouse has become the steak of choice these days with a nice piece of filet mignon on the steak.
    Thanks for sharing your lovely story!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and thank you, Dennis. Ironically, my mother no longer eats any red meat either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've cut down on red meat eating, but my husband and I do still enjoy a great steak! We have a very good butcher near us (the old fashioned kind that has his own shop) and the rib steaks are excellent. It's a special treat for us. I laughed at your mention of Girl Scouts...brought back memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss the cute little butcher shops in London. I am mainly a fish, poultry, and veggie girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love steak. I think it is one of my favourite meals. Especially when it is properly cooked! We do have cute butcher shops over here don't we. I just adore England. Think I'll stay here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed living there too. I liked being able to walk to a corner market if I needed to. Thanks for commenting Marie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pictures, they are so vivid and compositionally interesting. I struggle to make my pictures really good. I don't eat meat, but it does look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maren - that is so sweet of you. Thank you so much for the great compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with your daughter, I love steak night! It is definitely one of my guilty pleasures (along with American cheese, shhhhh, don't tell anyone). Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol - Blue Cheese for me ;) Thanks for commenting, Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we grew up in the same household. My parents's background influenced my childhood enough that there was steak for dinner at least twice a week. Steak represented an ability to provide, although somehow I could never convince my mother that Twinkies could also do this for me. These days I do appreciate a good steak dinner, although they are few and far between. My husband and I love to take my 20 year old daughter out for steak and chips, watching her relish each bite is more fun than eating the stuff itself, almost.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom still makes a big effort whenever I visit to make me a nice home-cooked meal, which makes me feel very special and loved. Only now when I visit, it is a nice salmon or a lobster dinner instead, which I much prefer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heather, that's funny I think we all had our moments trying to disguise food under the napkins. I always liked steak but it had to be almost carbonized too. But later I overcome the blood issue. My favorite cut is the rib eye with the bone...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny how it never entered my mind back then that my parents had probably already figured out all of my food hiding tricks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather! I'm SO glad you found my blog....and so glad I've found yours :-)
    Love your steak comments.....I was the weird child who liked my steak rare (still do). Most kids do balk at the sight of all that red! LOL
    Good to hook up again and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner (I was away at an art retreat down in Virginia when I got your blog comments). Happy days :-)
    ==lennie==

    ReplyDelete
  16. The steak looks like its cook to perfection!

    ReplyDelete