Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Simple Comfort Food: Miniature Potato Kugels














Last night I wasn't feeling terribly inspired to cook anything particularly elaborate for dinner. I knew I had some really nice fat, juicy chicken & apple sausages hanging out in the fridge, so I decided to grill them up. To serve alongside them, I tried out a new recipe for mini potato kugels. This particular version of a kugel was the savory type; think of something similar to a potato pancake, only baked into a casserole. They are really quite scrumptious and very easy to make.

The concept of making individual portions of a potato kugel had never occurred to me before. I have to say that this was a brilliant discovery! I actually am quite excited to try making mini portions of all of the kugels I make, as this was such a convenient way to prepare them. I made just half the recipe and I really was kicking myself for not making triple the amount. These were really so good.

The basic idea here is to grate up a potato, a carrot, and a small amount of onion, mix it with an egg and some matzo meal to bind it, and heavily season with salt & pepper. How incredibly simple is that? For my half recipe I baked these for only about 40-45 minutes, just until the edges started to get really golden and just a bit brown and crispy.

Small Batch Mini Potato Kugels
(as adapted from Babycat's recipe here)
makes 6 individual portions

Ingredients:
1 medium-large yellow skinned potato (Yukon Gold), peeled and grated, you will need 1 cup once grated
1 small carrot, peeled, grated
2 Tbsp onion, grated
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/8 cup canola oil
1/8 cup matzo meal or cracker crumbs or plain bread crumbs
1/2-1 tsp salt, to taste
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease 6 muffin tins. Grab your grater (or a food processor) and using the larger holes, grate your potato, carrot, and onion into a large bowl. Whisk together the egg and oil, then add this to your grated vegetables. Mix together, then add the matzo and seasonings. Don't be too skimpy on your seasonings, as potato kugels can often taste quite bland. Be careful with the pepper, however. My daughter is always very quick to point out that I use too much pepper, so if you are not terribly fond of it, you might use less than I have suggested.

In any case, mix everything and portion the mixture out into your muffin wells. Bake for about 40-46 minutes, until they are golden and just beginning to brown on the edges. Serve immediately. They will be soft, savory and there won't be any leftovers.

4 comments:

  1. These sound really tasty! I'll have to give it a try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sounds delicious. What a great idea. I love that you do not have to fry them. So simple and simple is good! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Raina :) The only bad thing about them was resisting an extra portion, which I am sorry to say I was unable to do. Wait a minute...I'm not sorry! They were worth the calories! ;)

    ReplyDelete