Saturday, January 28, 2012

Writing "Something"


It has been over a year since I last wrote here.  I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to write and found myself unable to untangle the thoughts filling my head.  It was a year of major changes - some good, some really not very good at all, but necessary.  Thinking and writing about food was still very much a part of my life, but I wasn't in much of a sharing mood.

Back when I was still in school, my creative writing teacher shared a simple but valuable writing tip with me that I have never forgotten:

Write something... every single day.

It doesn't matter if what you write has any substance or meaning. He didn't care if all we wrote that day was a string of random words.  I distinctly recall a few defiantly moody days when all I wrote down in my creative writing journal was the same letter over and over again.  Something is better than nothing, right? The idea worked...eventually.  Since I was used to writing something down each day, eventually those stories and thoughts cramming my brain would find their way onto the page. And sometimes those somethings were really worth reading.

I have a lot of great ideas to share with you and I am really excited to start blogging again.  Strawberry season has just begun and the weather is warming up (Hey, I live in Florida after all).  Already the ideas are flowing.  To those of you still here visiting and reading, thank you for being so patient.

6 comments:

  1. Heather so good to hear your voice again. I have checked back with you several times and wondered what was going on. I actually had a click through from your sight which alerted me that you might be blogging again. I am so glad that all is well. Eat Drink Wash Up is now Savoury Table. I hope you'll come and visit soon. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back too and every day is a lesson on the journey of life too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Heather! Look forward to catching up with what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone :) I am glad to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see a post from you Heather! You don't know how often my mind lights upon you and I wonder what you are up to and how you are doing. (((hugs)))) I am looking forward to seeing more posts from you in the near future! xxoo

    ReplyDelete